Last Meeting (31 January 2009)
- We engaged in the longest icebreaker in living memory of any member--the "Create a Mary Sue and Kill it" icebreaker. We had some interesting duels and extremely sick and twisted deaths, also razor-edged lilac petals. Don't let your violent enthusiasms spill over into your daily lives, people. ;)
- We read Emily's short story entry for the West Branch/Stadler Center competition, titled "Sister," for our writer critique. Thank you, Emily, for your thoughtful submission. We also passed around a sign-up sheet for future writer critiques.
- Jared supplied the third segment of the Fairytale Paradox: "[Magical] Royalty." Jared, if you haven't yet done so, please e-mail a copy to Hilary so she can put it on her public space (hdu001). We enjoyed a journey to a friend, a strange face, and a less-than-happy new character.
Announcements for Next Meeting (7 February 2009)
- We will be reading a submission by Catherine; she's not sure at this point if it will be a fairytale/short story or a novel chapter. she'll have it out sometime this week.
- Next week's segment of Paradox will be written by Grace, with the archetype "Disguises."
- Thanks to everyone who's been heckling people to come: we had a great turn-out on Saturday. Operation Advertizing Bombshell will supplement your efforts in the next few weeks. o_o
- A reminder of the guidelines for writer critiques for this semester:
* You must submit some sort of writing for the week you signed up for.
* If you cannot come to that meeting, it is your responsibility to find someone to replace you for that week.
* Please submit your entries to Hilary promptly so she can circulate them before the meeting, and remember to leave enough time for everyone to read and critique your work. It's a good idea to submit TWO DAYS before the meeting, or more for longer pieces.
* Your work can be an outline, poem, short story, chapter of a novel, character map, etc.
* Keep it fantasy-related.